Carl Larsson – ”The rapids near Spadarvet”, oil 1893
The painting shows how the falls looked before the power station and the dam were built in 1900. Along the river there were several waterpowered mills and sawmills that were driven by the weir on the west side of the rapids. A log flume, several hundred metres in length, was constructed to facilitate the
transport of timber past the falls. The log flume continues downstream in a long arc to calmer waters.
Rafting was discontinued in 1962, but was practiced extensively before this date.
The farm Spadarvet lies to the right of the picture, east of the rapids.