Painter Persson’s house in 1900. The house is moved to the other side of the road in 1956 – Photo: KE Forslund, Dalarna museum
This part of the village, up to Sundborn church, was called ”Little Sundborn” in the 1700s. In the 1500s and 1600s raw copper was produced in foundries on both sides of the river. Village life and urban development, was also influenced by agriculture. Barns, stables, sheds and utility rooms stood so close together that you could jump from roof to roof.
In the early 1900s there were sawmills, a primary school, a post office, a telephone exchange and a haberdashery. The village still continues to adapt to new needs. Extensions, new rooms and porches are built onto houses. Older homes are replaced with new larger residential buildings.
New houses are built on what was earlier open land. It is popular to live here today and people are proud of the historically important environment on the banks of Sundbornsån.
In 1900, Persson the painter lived in the house with the portal. He was one of the many skilled craftsmen in the village to help the artist couple Carl and Karin Larsson shape their home. Painter Persson is depicted in the portrait collection in the Parish hall.